Sunday, September 7, 2008

New River: Glade Creek to Quinnimont

Yesterday, I went boating on the New River from Glade Creek to Quinnimont. I went with four others from the WVWA. It was my first real whitewater. This particular stretch has two Class III rapids: Grassy Shoals and Quinnimont. Unfortunately, they proved too much for me. I made it almost to the end of both, and then flipped. I have never attemped a roll, not even on flatwater; but I think I will start practicing after this experience. Rolling skills would have been handy. Instead, I had to bail and swim.

The first swim at Grassy Shoals Rapids did not upset me or embarrass me too much. The second one did. I really wanted to make it past Quinnimont to prove myself, but once again I ended up swimming. My companions instinctively went into rescue mode. I could have rescued myself both times, but they rushed over each time to check on me and offer aid. They were really nice people. One was a 67-year-old woman. I guess it was Mother Nature's way of feeding me humble pie.

Despite the two swims, I had a blast and feel like I accomplished something important. That section of the New is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and I had a great time on the Class II rapids in the middle. I know this blog is supposed to be about flatwater and Class I-II only, but if you are like me and want a little taste of whitewater, this stretch is the perfect place for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kayaking is my outdoor hobby. The Dragonfly Cruises is my indoor hobby. If you found something here you want to comment on, this is your the chance. So, go for it. I would enjoy hearing from you. --Dan